Now everyone can enjoy stuffing at the Thanksgiving table. This version combines gluten-free bread and cornbread for a side with the taste and texture of traditional bread stuffing.
Tip: Stale bread works best, and helps the stuffing cubes retain their shape once liquid is added. Toasting fresh bread works great, too. Cubed bread can be covered and stored for up to 3 days before use.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1-pound gluten-free bread loaf
- 1 cornbread loaf (mix or recipe)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 small onion or shallot, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons white cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried ground thyme
- Pinch (⅛ teaspoon) onion powder
- Pinch (⅛ teaspoon) garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 to 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, warm (not hot)
- 2 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-x9-inch casserole dish.
2. Cut breads into 1-inch cubes and toss with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, half of poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Spread out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; bake at 350°F for 12 minutes.
3. Place toasted bread cubes in a large bowl.
4. Heat 2 teaspoons evoo in a large sauté pan over medium. Cook celery and onion or shallot for 2 to 3 minutes, or until wilted.
5. Add wine, and cook until it begins to evaporate.
6. Add remaining poultry seasoning, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, vegan butter, parsley, salt, and pepper. Sauté 2 to 3 minutes, or until seasonings become fragrant.
7. Pour vegetable mixture over bread cubes in bowl; gently fold to mix.
8. Pour warm broth and eggs over stuffing mixture; fold in. Set aside for 10 minutes.
9. Spoon mixture into prepared casserole dish. If stuffing seems too dry, add a little more broth; it should be damp, but not overly wet. Drizzle top lightly with evoo.
10. Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes, or until top is crusty and brown, and stuffing is cooked through.
11. Finish with drizzle of evoo, salt, and pepper. Cool slightly before serving.