Because of their water content, nectarines cook quickly, which helps when you're in a hurry!
- 6 nectarines
- 12 Tbsp demerara (soft brown) sugar mixed with ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 cup non-dairy creamer
- 4 pieces preserved ginger in syrup, chopped small
1. Put on the oven grill and ensure that the oven rack is on the middle shelf.
2. Cut the nectarines in half from the top down, twist and carefully remove their pips with a teaspoon or knife.
3. Place the nectarines in an ovenproof dish cut side up.
4. Place 1 Tbsp of the cinnamon sugar in each nectarine half.
5. Sprinkle the orange juice over the fruit.
6. Grill until golden brown.
7. Serve warm, at room temperature or cold with a spoonful of ginger cream (see below) or ice cream.
Beat the non-dairy creamer and gently fold in the ginger. If ginger is not your thing , you can substitute it with the pulp of 1 - 2 granadillas.