Halloumi cheese is a firm, salty cheese that browns on the outside while maintaining a gooey inside. Learn all about Halloumi cheese and try this recipe where we grill it on a skewer for the ultimate vegetarian kebob.
In Israel it is common to order salads topped with crispy halloumi cheese, try these kebobs on their own or on top of salad.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ½ cup fresh chopped basil
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 14-ounce block of halloumi cheese, cubed
1. Blend basil, oil, sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and garlic in a blender or food processor. You can also coarsely chop marinade but blending results in a more flavor-packed marinade.
2. Place halloumi in covered container or sealed bag, pour basil mixture over it, and marinate for 1 to 24 hours.
3. Skewer marinated halloumi on kebob sticks.
4. Serve as-is, or grill or broil for 3 minutes per side.
5. Serve with toasted pita and side Israeli salad to complete the meal.