No American in our grilled cheese, it is highly processed, but we know kids love the orange color, so go with cheddar. Use a whole grain bread and if you can get them to try it, add some fresh basil and sliced tomato.
If you have a panini maker that is the best way to make grilled cheese, simply and with little to no oil or butter, but if you don’t here is our recipe to get away with as little as possible and still achieve a perfect grilled cheese.
Get more nutrition out of your simple grilled cheese by adding tons of greens, basil is a great start, so is arugula, kale, and spinach.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 4 slices cheddar cheese or 1 cup shredded
- Optional additions: ½ cup fresh basil leaves, 1 tomato, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt.
- Prepare sandwiches on a nearby surface by laying one piece of bread down, topping with cheese and optional additions and other slice of bread.
- Place 2 sandwiches in pan, careful not to overcrowd and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Flip over, add another 1 tablespoon oil and cook another 5 minutes.
Serve with tomato soup.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 294
- Carbohydrate Content: 25.4 g
- Cholesterol Content: 45 mg
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 805 mg
- Sugar Content: 4.2 g