I know that everyone has their own version of the Deli Roll – and I’d love to hear about yours…but I loved the idea of melding the honey Dijon mustard, spicy chuck pastrami, milder white turkey breast, and the flavorful sweetness of the caramelized onions. Topped with additional caramelized onions, it makes a beautiful side dish or appetizer.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Honey Deli Roll With Caramelized Onions
- 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
- Non-stick vegetable spray
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
- ¼ cup honey Dijon mustard
- Scant ½ lb chuck pastrami, thinly sliced
- Scant ½ lb turkey breast, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- additional sautéed onions and mustard for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Cover a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with non-stick vegetable spray.
2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Sauté onions and garlic in oil over medium heat, periodically stirring, until onions are caramelized. This can take up to 15 minutes.
3. Spread a thin layer of mustard on puff pastry. Place a layer of pastrami on the mustard, covering the entire sheet, using the entire ½ pound. Place a layer of turkey on the pastrami, covering the entire sheet, using the entire ½ pound. Evenly spread the caramelized onions over the layer of turkey. Roll. Place on the prepared cookie sheet.
4. With a sharp knife, make several diagonal slits across the top of the roll. Whisk together the egg and water. Brush over the top of the roll. Bake for 45 minutes until top of roll is golden brown. Serve sliced with additional mustard and sautéed onions.
Recipe posted with permission from Kosher Everyday by Sharon Matten