Lemon-garlic flavored chicken and "red, white and blue" potatoes are skewered and then tossed on the grill for ten minutes tops.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (squeezed from one lemon)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest (from one lemon)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 gourmet "baby" Idaho-grown blue potatoes
- 4 gourmet "baby" Idaho-grown white potatoes
- 4 gourmet "baby" Idaho-grown red potatoes
- 4 or 5 (12-inch) wooden skewers (soaked in water for at least 1 hour), or metal skewers
1. In a medium mixing bowl, using a whisk, combine the lemon juice and lemon zest, garlic, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
2. Measure out 1/3 cup of the dressing mixture and set it aside. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl with the remaining dressing and toss well to coat them with dressing; set aside. (Chicken can be marinated in the refrigerator up to 1 day in advance of serving.)
3. Wash potatoes and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 3 tablespoons water to the bowl and cover. Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes, until tender. While the potatoes are cooking, pre-heat the grill to medium-high.
4. Assemble the skewers: thread 3 pieces of marinated chicken onto each skewer. Follow that with a red, then a white, then a blue pre-cooked potato.
5. Finish each skewer with 3 more pieces of chicken. Repeat with the remaining 3 skewers and ingredients. (If there is leftover chicken, thread it all onto an extra skewer.)
6. Place skewers onto the grill. Close the grill and cook until chicken has distinct grill marks, about 5-6 minutes.
7. Turn skewers and continue to cook and rotate at 3-4 minute intervals until the chicken is cooked through (about 10 minutes total grilling time).
8. To serve, place skewers onto a plate and drizzle with reserved dressing.
Source: Idaho Potato Commission