I love fresh tomatoes. Even as a kid in summer camp, I made a friend on the kitchen staff so I could have tomatoes smuggled to me. My taste buds haven't changed, just evolved. Nowadays, I love grape tomatoes, plum tomatoes or the expensive, imported Israeli or Holland tomatoes on the vine. Every now and then they're worth the splurge.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, halved (horizontally)
- 2 tablespoons flavored bread crumbs
- 2 frozen crushed garlic cubes
- 1 - 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Turn on broiler. Lightly grease a broiler pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a spoon, remove seeds from tomatoes and place tomato halves in prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly on each tomato.
- Broil for 5 minutes and serve immediately.
If you're having a dairy meal, sprinkle a little Parmesan or shredded mozzarella cheese on each tomato before broiling.