If you don’t like lamb or can’t find it at your local grocery store, try this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken or turkey breasts. If you like, serve the shawarma with flatbread, though be sure to check the ingredient statement for allergens.
Make it easier by replacing all the spices with Jamie Geller Shawarma blend.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6-8 ServingsServings
For the meat
- 1⁄2 cup soy sour cream
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 5 pounds boneless shoulder lamb or lamb loin, cut into 1⁄4-inch strips
For the salsa
- 1 1⁄2 cups pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Prepare the meat
1. Combine the soy sour cream, 1/4 cup water, the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, onions, and garlic in a large bowl. Whisk in the salt, pepper, cumin, nutmeg, cloves, and cayenne. Add the lamb strips and toss to coat.
2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours (the longer you allow the meat to marinate, the more tender and flavorful it will be).
Make the salsa
While the meat is marinating, prepare the salsa for serving and keep covered at room temperature for up to 2 hours (or refrigerate if making more than 2 hours ahead). Mix all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Finish the dish
1. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Drain the marinade off the lamb and cook the lamb strips in a single layer in batches until the meat has browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. (The lamb will give off liquid as it cooks, so let it cook until the liquid is absorbed and the meat is brown.) Transfer the cooked lamb to a plate and cover to keep warm.
2. Arrange the lamb strips on a platter, top with pomegranate–mint salsa, and serve.
Nutrition information per serving (based on 8 servings): Calories: 555.7, Total Fat: 28g, Cholesterol: 185.4mg, Sodium: 199mg, Total Carbohydrates: 13.7g, Dietary Fiber: 3.3g, Sugars: 7.2g, Protein: 67.9g