I came up with this recipe to satisfy my love of mushrooms and as a dish that fills my gluten-free needs. I've made this pareve but to make it more decadent use dairy ingredients.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter plus 3 tablespoons vegan butter, melted, divided
- 10 - 12 oz. mushrooms, chopped, crimini, shitake and portabello about 4 cups chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 cup sour cream substitute
- 2 eggs, beaten
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease 9 in round baking dish.
1. Heat 1 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon vegan butter in a large skillet. Saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic over medium heat about 20 minutes, until soft. Mix in 3/4 teaspoon salt. Add the wine and stir until absorbed.
2. While the mushrooms are cooking prepare the cornbread mixture. In a bowl, mix together the cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt and baking powder. Add the soy milk, sour cream substitute, eggs and remaining 3 tablespoons melted vegan butter. Take 1/3 of the sautéed mushrooms and add to the cornbread mixture. Mix gently. It's o.k. if there are lumps!
3. Spread half the cornbread mixture into prepared baking dish. Spread the mushroom mixture and then top with remaining cornbread mixture. Bake about 20 minutes.