- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, washed and trimmed, cut into bite size pieces 1
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes 375 mL
- 1/4 cup lemon juice 60 mL
- 1 garlic clove, minced 1
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce 7 mL
- 1 tsp dry mustard 5 mL
- 1 tsp lemon zest 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper 1 mL
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese 75 mL
- 1 (2 oz/75 mL) can anchovies 1
- 1 cup canola oil 250 mL
- 4 thick slices whole grain bread, cut into cubes 4
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese 30 mL
- Dash pepper
- 1 Tbsp Italian parsley, very finely chopped 15 mL
1 In a large salad bowl, prepare lettuce and toss with tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate while preparing the dressing.
2 Combine lemon juice, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, lemon zest, freshly ground pepper and Parmesan cheese in a food processor. Blend on high speed for 30 seconds. With processor running, add canola oil in a fine stream and continue to blend until smooth.
3 Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Toss bread with canola oil, Parmesan cheese, pepper and Italian parsley. Spread on lightly greased baking sheet and bake about 20 minutes, until croutons are golden.
4 Pour desired amount of dressing over salad, add croutons and toss lightly. Top the salad with additional Parmesan cheese shavings. Serve immediately.