Lamb, Lentil and Spinach stew, doesn't get any heartier and better than this for your comforting easy dinner.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 5Servings
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat
- ½ pound green or brown lentils
- 1 pound fresh spinach or 8 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (14-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 dried chilli peppers (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons parsley or fresh coriander
- Wash the lentils in cold water. Trim the fat from the lamb and dice the meat into 1-inch cubes. If you are using fresh spinach, wash it thoroughly.
- Finely slice the onion and garlic, and peel and slice the carrots into rounds. Place 2 tablespoons olive oil into a large casserole.
- Heat until the oil is hot, add lamb cubes, stirring until they are browned. Leaving the fat in the casserole, remove the lamb with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and carrots and cook over a medium heat until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, lamb pieces, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, optional chilies, lentils and enough water to just cover the mixture. Stir in the cumin and coriander and simmer for 1¼ hours, until the lentils are cooked.
- Add a little more water if the mixture begins to dry. Before serving, add spinach to stew, mix well and simmer until wilted. Adjust seasoning of stew to taste.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley or fresh coriander and serve.