I like colorful food as much as the next person, but far too many pistachio ice creams out there take on an enticing shade of green through chemical means, leading to a terribly disappointing taste and a belly full of chemicals. A good version of this classic flavor doesn’t necessarily need to be an emerald or forest green to be delicious, but you can still achieve such a luscious hue simply by using the nuts themselves, plus a healthy dose of vibrant green avocado for creaminess. After you taste how incredibly flavorful this easy nutty treat can be, you will find it close to impossible to justify the purchase of those fakers again.
Make it a Sundae with homemade Coconut Whipped Cream!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 scant quartServings
- 1 cup shelled and toasted pistachios- to make the paste (or ¾ cup pistachio butter)
- 1 package extra-firm silken tofu 12-oz package
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup plain non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup light agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shelled and toasted pistachios (roughly chopped toasted pistachios)
1. Add the nuts into the bowl of a food processor and process into a thick, doughy sort of paste. This can take as long as 10 minutes, so be patient and don’t rush this step, or gritty ice cream may result.
2. Once the nuts seem to have surrendered their natural oils and are well pulverized, stop the machine. Drain excess liquid from the tofu and add it to the pistachios. Blend the mixture well, being sure to stop and scrape down the sides periodically, until the mixture is completely smooth.
3. Add the avocado, lemon juice, non-dairy milk, agave, vanilla, and salt to the food processorand blend until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated. Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. In the last 5 minutes of freezing, toss in the chopped pistachios.