A delicious bulgar wheat salad made with the Mediterranean's finest ingredients.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 3/4 cup bulgur wheat, dry
- 1 cup lentils, dry – rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons garlic flavored olive oil
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 small red or yellow pepper, cleaned & cut into ½-inch squares
- 3 cups lightly packed spinach leaves, deveined & cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 8 ounces plain, nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted**
- Salt and pepper to taste
1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 Cover bulgur with 2 cups boiling water, set aside for 30 minutes.
3 In a 1-quart saucepan, simmer lentils in 2 cups water for 20 minutes. Drain.
4 Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté onion and pepper squares 5 minutes. Thoroughly drain bulgur; mix with lentils and add to skillet.
5 Stir well and cook 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook 3 minutes. Stir in yogurt and heat thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.
6 ** To toast almonds, spread in a single layer on an un-greased baking pan. Bake 5 to 10 minutes in oven until almonds are slightly browned. Stir occasionally.
Source: Wheat Foods Council