An innovative, interesting twist on the traditional kugel. With slight variations, this recipe can be meat, dairy, or parve. Healthy and taste, this is "nacho" bubbe's kugel!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef or turkey, optional
- 1 zucchini
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced fresh ripe tomatoes
- 2 cup leftover rice
- 2 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 8 ounce sour cream use pareve sour cream if making with meat or serving with a meat meal
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- A few dash hot sauce
- 1 cup crushed corn chips
Preheat oven to 375° and lightly oil a 2-qt. baking dish.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. If using beef, sauté beef until cooked through and no longer pink. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and reserve. Add zucchini to skillet and cook until tender but not brown. Stir in corn and black beans and cook to heat through. Stir in rice, scallions, and reserved beef.
In a small bowl, beat together sour cream, eggs, chili powder, and hot sauce.
Pour vegetable mixture into baking dish and top with sour cream mixture. Top with corn chips.
Cover dish and bake 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5 – 10 minutes. Let rest at least 5 minutes before cutting.