Sumac really livens up and lends an exotic tough to these strawberry bundt cakes. You can make this cake in a large bundt pan, but I love any excuse to use the mini bunt cake pan.
To make this cake dairy free use vegan stick butter and dairy free Greek yogurt.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 12 ounces (about 1 pint) fresh strawberries, sliced into small chunks
- 1¼ cup confectioner’s sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons Jamie Geller Sumac
- Optional: Dried rose petals, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 325° F and position a rack in the center. Butter *and* flour (this is important—don’t skip it!) a nonstick mini bundt pan (10-15 cup pan) or other decorative miniature cake pan. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, followed by 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice. Finally, add the flour and yogurt, then fold in the strawberries.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cavities of the mini bundt pan, filling each cavity a little more than ¾ of the way full. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a deep golden brown (all mini bundt pans are slightly different, so keep an eye on your cakes!).
- When time’s up, place a wire cooling rack over the base of the pan, then carefully invert to release the cakes right-side-up. Allow them to cool completely, at least 30 minutes, before making the glaze.
- Spoon ¼ cup of the confectioner’s sugar into a fine-mesh sieve, then tap it over the cakes to give them a snowy coating. Next, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar, milk, and sumac, and spoon the mixture into a piping bag or plastic sandwich bag (if using a sandwich bag, use scissors to snip a very small hole off of one of the corners). Pipe the glaze over each of the cakes, serve, and enjoy!