This is a great way to get some cacao antioxidants and a fun sweet treat with out too many calories.
If you want them to look pretty you can use a ziplock or piping bag and tips, but we like to keep it easy and don't mind the rustic homemade look.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 dozenServings
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon mint extract
- ½ cup cacao nibs
1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar a little at a time until all sugar is incorporated and melted into the meringue. The meringue should be shiny and form stiff peaks.
3. Fold in mint or peppermint extract and cacao nibs.
4. Drop by tablespoon fulls onto prepared cookie sheets, placing them about 1 inch apart. (or you can make them mini using a teaspoon)
2. Bake about 1 hour until stiff and dry. Turn off oven, but leave meringues in the oven until cool to further dry out, another 2 hours.
3. Store in an airtight container.