A holiday classic, this honey cake is guaranteed to please.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- - ServingsServings
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cup flour
- 1 cup strong brewed decaf or regular coffee
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (coated first in flour) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sift dry ingredients and set aside.
- Beat eggs in mixing bowl. Combine slowly with sugar, oil and then honey.
- Add coffee alternating with your dry ingredients, taking care to mix only until the dry ingredients are combined. Sprinkle in the flour covered raisins at the end, by hand.
- Mixture can be poured into one 9 by 12 cake pan, or two loaf pans, or in mini-loaf or cupcake pans. Fill the pans halfway or a little more.
- The baking time can be anywhere from 15 to 35 or 40 minutes, depending on the depth of your pan. Test for doneness by piercing with a toothpick; If the toothpick comes away clean, the cake is done. The recipe doubles well and freezes well.
Contributed by:Elizabeth Book Kratz, CKCA