Change up your matzo brei this Passover with some savory caramelized mushrooms and onions for a different flavor profile. Serve any time of day.
Watch how we make 4 different versions of Brei in this video. From Classic Sweet Matzo Brei to our Pizza Brei where the matzo brei is used as your pizza crust. Then mix it up some more with either savory or sweet combos of Mushrooms and Onion Brei or Cinnamon Apple Brei.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 sheets of matzo
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Pinch kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Garnish: Sour cream, sliced green onions
- Hold 2 sheets of matzah under water for 30 seconds. Shake off excess water.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and saute until golden.
- Break the matzah into pieces and add to the pan. Fry for a minute.
- Scramble the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper. Add egg mixture to pan.
- Mix everything in pan with spatula so all sides cook. It’s done when the eggs are not runny anymore.