This is most elegant when made as pictured with pot roast, but we also loved it with beef stew meat and then you can skip the step of pulling the meat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 pound chuck roast or stew meat
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large head of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 red beets, peeled and grated
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 8 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Garnish: 1 small bunch of kale, chopped, chopped flat-leaf parsley, chopped dill, and toasted caraway seeds
Turn slow cooker to HIGH.
1. Pat chuck roast dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
2. Add pot roast, onions, garlic, carrots, beets, diced tomatoes, cabbage, broth, vinegar and honey.
3. Cover and cook for 6 hours or until pot roast is falling apart.
4. Pull pot roast with 2 forks to shred meat into chunks, and add meat back to slow cooker. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 1 hour until sauce is hot.
5. Serve garnished with kale, parsley, dill and toasted caraway seeds.