Using a mandoline will give you uniform slices for uniform cooking. Placing the sliced potatoes in cold water prevents oxidization and removes starch, resulting in a crispier chip.
Serve with Seared Cod Filet with Caramelized Onions for complete dinner.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Canola oil for frying
- 2 russet potatoes, unpeeled and scrubbed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 275° F.
2. Slice potatoes about ⅛-inch thick. As you slice, place potatoes into a large bowl filled with cold water.
3. Before frying, lay potatoes on paper towels and pat very dry. Pour 1 inch of oil into a large heavy-bottomed sauté pan.
4. Heat oil over medium heat to 375°F. Working in batches: When oil is shimmering, add potatoes in a single layer and cook for about 5 minutes, or until bottoms are browned. Turn and continue cooking for another 3 minutes. Transfer to a baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and keep warm in the oven while cooking remaining potatoes.
Recipe Courtesy of Quick & Kosher: Meals in Minutes by Jamie Geller (Feldheim 2010)