This is a super easy-to-make winter vegetable soup and the ideal comfort food for a cold winter day. Make it with Focaccia with Beetroot for a filling meal.
You can use one large potato in place of the Jerusalem artichokes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 10 for Parsnip Soup, 12 for Black Olive OilServings
- 3 - 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 1 sweet or Vidalia onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, cubed
- 2 large or 4 small parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups Jerusalem artichokes, washed and thinly sliced
- 3 quarts water or vegetable broth
- Garnish: Black Olive Oil and chopped parsley
Black Olive Oil
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Garnish: chopped parsley
1. Warm evoo in a large pot.
2. Sauté the onion until translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Add garlic and fennel and sauté for 2 minutes more.
4. Add parsnip and Jerusalem artichoke together with water and/or broth.
5. Simmer until vegetables are soft. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup, or for a much smoother puree, transfer the soup to a blender and puree on high in several batches, then strain.
6. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, squirt or drizzle Black Olive Oil into the center of the bowl and garnish with chopped parsley.
Black Olive Oil:
1. Puree all ingredients in a blender. Add more oil if needed. It should pour easily at room temperature. Transfer to a squeeze bottle or small jar.