- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 to 8 ServingsServings
- 1 pound Ziti, Rigatoni or other medium pasta shape, uncooked
- 1 tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 8- oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. dried mixed Italian herbs, or 2 tbsp. minced fresh oregano and 2 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 16- oz. can crushed tomatoes, or two cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 green olives, sliced
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 Prepare pasta according to package directions, reducing cooking time by 1 to 2 minutes; drain.
2 Spray a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.
3 . Transfer pasta to baking dish and toss with the mixed herbs, tomato sauce and Romano cheese.
4 Mix the garlic and hot red pepper flakes with the tomatoes and pour all over top of pasta.
5 . Layer the remaining ingredients, ending with the mozzarella.
6 Bake at 400-F for 15 minutes and serve.
Source: National Pasta Association