Pickled vegetables of all kinds, and especially eggplant, are very popular in Israel. They taste wonderful, can be served as an appetizer, and are surprisingly easy to make.
- Prep Time
- 1 jar ServingsServings
- 1/2 kg. (1 ounce) Baby eggplants
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 3 tsp. salt
- Fresh Garlic sliced
- Chili pepper sliced
- Bay leaves, optional
- All spice berries, optional
- Olive oil
1. Wash the eggplants and remove the stinger. Cut a cross slit at the top of the eggplant.
2. Pour the water, vinegar and salt to a cooking pot. Add the eggplants and bring to boil. Cook until the eggplants soften - check with a fork.
3. Let the eggplants sit in the pot until they cool.
4. Fill the slit with a slice of garlic and chili.
5. Fill the eggplants in a sterilized jar pour over the cold liquid. Add to the jar some more garlic, chili, bay leaves, all spice berries to your taste.
6. Pour olive oil on top to cover the eggplants completely.
7. Tightly close the jar and leave at room temperature for about 1 week before opening.
8. After opening store in refrigerator.