The classic Banh Mi sandwich is a mix of spicy, sour, crunchy and savory. I pickle carrots and daikon radish for the crunchy-sour part of the dish. You can easily add cooked and sliced beets as well. This is quick, easy and delish!
- Prep Time
- 2 cupsServings
- 2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 star anises
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A couple of black peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 dried hot chili or a pinch of chili flakes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into thin strips
- 1 small daikon radish, cut into thin strips
1. Bring all of the ingredients for the pickling liquid to a simmer.
Pour over the carrots and daikon. Allow the vegetables to sit in the liquid in the refrigerator for 1 day before using.
2. The carrots and daikon can be stored, covered in the refrigerator, in the liquid for up to 1 month.
Goes with Salmon Banh Mi Burger.
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Summer 2013 SUBSCRIBE NOW