The borscht colors these eggs for a beautiful presentation.
- 7 eggs ServingsServings
- 1 (24-ounce) jar borscht, such as Gold’s
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 7 hard-boiled eggs, cooled and peeled
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon yellow mustard (or spicy mustard for some kick)
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped chives for garnish
To make the pickling mixture, combine borscht and vinegar in a container. Add eggs to borscht mixture, making sure they are completely
covered. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours, or up to 2 days. Remove eggs from the liquid. Cut each egg in half lengthwise, gently removing yolks and placing them in a bowl. Place whites on a serving platter, and set aside. Mash yolks well with a fork. Add mayonnaise, mustard, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Spoon the yolk filling into the egg whites; or for a prettier presentation, pipe them in using a pastry bag with a star tip.
Garnish with chives.