This quiche is made non-dairy without any cheese, it is best with canned coconut milk because of the high-fat content, but any milk will do. The leeks and spinach add flavor, nutrition, and texture in place of cheese and the tomato top takes it to another level.
Variation: make this quiche with shredded potatoes for more of a latke or kugel like consistency, which can be made even easier by using store-bought hashbrowns. Simply mix 1½ pounds shredded potatoes with 2 tablespoons evoo, salt and pepper, and press into pan. Bake for 30 minutes before adding quiche filling and baking again.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita, divided
- 2 large Russet potatoes, sliced
- 1½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 leek, cleaned and chopped
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1 and 1/4 cups almond milk or coconut milk10 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh basil, to garnish
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate with 2 tablespoons evoo.
- Layer sliced potatoes all around bottom of pan and up the sides. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Brush another 2 tablespoons evoo over top.
- Place potato crust in oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown, let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon evoo. Add leeks and sauté until soft. Add spinach and cook another minute. Sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the leeks and spinach over crust. Sprinkle fresh basil over top.
- In a large bowl beat together eggs, coconut milk, salt, and pepper. Beat for about 1 minute, then pour over the vegetables. Top with cherry tomato halves, cut face up.
- Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon evoo and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 375°F for 40-50 minutes, or until the top has started to brown and the quiche doesn't wiggle when you shake it.
- Remove from the oven and let cool a few minutes before diving in. Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!