This delicious lowfat cake is loaded with vitamins and fall flavors. Make cupcakes and frost with your favorite frosting, or bake layers and serve it as a festive fall cake with poached pears.
- 8 ounces (2 cups) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners, or line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, and baking soda; set aside.
3. Place eggs and sugar in a mixer bowl, and beat at high speed until they reach a ribbon stage (when you lift the beater out of the mixture, the eggs and sugar will form a ribbon that will hold its shape for a few seconds).
4. Fold pumpkin into the egg mixture. Add the flour mixture, and gently mix together.
5. Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the cake is lightly browned and an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 10 to 12 minutes for cupcakes, or 30 minutes for the cake. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Yield: 12 cupcakes or 1 (8-inch) cake