Spoon bread is a traditional American cornbread dish, served with a spoon. It has a bread-like consistency but isn't as firm.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 to 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, for greasing pan
- 2½ cups chicken or turkey stock
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin purée
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with evoo.
2. Simmer stock, evoo, and salt in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat, gradually whisk in cornmeal, and simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in pumpkin.
3. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks, chives, thyme, and cayenne. Whisk in cornmeal mixture; set aside.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Fold one-third of egg whites into cornmeal batter, then gently fold in remaining egg whites.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in 350°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until bread is set and begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool slightly before serving.