These Punched Up Poached Pears are an elegant and easy dessert, infused with Shiraz punch, cinnamon, and sugar. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover Shiraz Shrub punch.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Ripe but firm pears, peeled, halved and cored
- Shiraz Shrub punch (use 1 pear to every 1/2 cup punch)
- Granulated sugar
- Grated cinnamon
1. Pour Shiraz Shrub punch into a large pot, adding sugar and cinnamon to taste, and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to simmer and add the pears. Pears should simmer for between 20-25 minutes, until tender when pierced and until they have absorbed the red color of the punch liquid.
2. Remove the pears from the pot and let them cool. Bring the mixture back to a boil and continue to reduce the poaching liquid for another 20 minutes.
3. Spoon the liquid over the cooked pears and serve immediately, or cover and chill the pears in the reduced liquid in the refrigerator until ready to serve (preferably within 24 hours).
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Spring 2015 SUBSCRIBE NOW