You can make risotto with all kinds of grains, why not quinoa? It isn’t quite and creamy as traditional risotto but the quinoa gives a nice nutty flavor you will love. This recipe is a bit creamier with the brown quinoa, but using red quinoa is gorgeous and a bit nuttier. This risotto is made easy with our oven risotto method, no stirring!!!
If you want extra nutrients, feel free to add spinach at the end of cooking.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita, plus more for drizzling
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cups assorted sliced mushrooms, such as cremini, button and/or shiitake
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth, warmed, divided
- 1 ½ cups quinoa
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish (optional)
- Garnish: Thyme
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat evoo over medium high heat. Sauté onions and mushrooms for 5 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown and liquid is gone. Add salt, thyme and garlic with wine and 2 ½ cups broth. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add quinoa, stir well and cover. Transfer to oven and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add remaining 1 cup broth and Parmesan and other salt to taste. Stir well and serve garnished with thyme and a drizzle of evoo.