This is a great dish to make for company because the recipe makes a large pasta salad. It’s best to sauté the vegetables first and boil the pasta afterwards to immediately combine the drained orzo with the pepper mixture.
- 1 box orzo pasta
- 1 each, red, yellow, orange Holland pepper; julienned
- 1 medium to large spanish or vidalia onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of elephant garlic, finely diced (or 6 to 8 large cloves of regular garlic)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted slivered almonds
- Oil for sautéing
1. Cut the julienned peppers into small rectangles to mimic the shape of the orzo pasta.
2. Add olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, cook until translucent. Add the garlic and peppers. The pan will be very full, so keep the heat high. Add the seasonings and sugar.
3. When peppers are wilted but still slightly firm to bite, remove from heat.
4. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente and toss with the peppers. Add toasted almonds and continue tossing until all the ingredients are combined. Adjust seasoning if necessary using salt and sugar. You may add more olive oil if needed to keep it moist.