- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pound red onions or other onions, peeled, sliced
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- sprig chervil and a little reduced balsamic vinegar, for garnish
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oatmeal (not instant or 5 min)
- 2-1/2 ounce softened butter
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon cold water
Blue cheese topping:
- 4 ounce soft blue cheese
- 2 tablespoon plain yogurt
To prepare onion filling:
- Place onions and vinegar in heavy saucepan. Cover with wax paper and lid. Cook gently for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and paper, add honey and cook until liquid has almost evaporated. Season to taste. Keep warm.
To make pastry:
- Blend flours, oatmeal, butter, cheese and salt in blender until consistency of fine crumbs. Add cold water and form a ball.
- Let pastry rest for 30 minutes, and then roll out. Line six 4 inch round fluted tins with pastry, prick with a fork, and then allow pastry to rest for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 325. Bake tarts until pale golden brown.
To prepare cheese:
- Mash blue cheese with a fork and blend with the yogurt.
- Remove warm baked pastry tarts from tins; place on large warm plates. Fill each with enough red-onion mixture to cover base, and place 1 spoonful of blue cheese mixture on top.
- Garnish with a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar and chervil sprigs.