One word. Decadent! This delicious and rich side is worthy of serving with your ultimate turkey. This Turkey Mushroom Stuffing works both cooked in the turkey, or separately in a casserole dish. Don't save this one for turkey day it is too good and can be enJOYed all year round.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups poultry broth, plus more for moistening stuffing
- 1 bay leaf
- Poultry schmaltz for sautéing
- 3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 celery stalks, diced small
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated in 1 cup heated port wine
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 8 ounces chicken livers, kashered and chopped
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 egg yolks
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish. Skip this step if stuffing this inside a turkey.
2. Simmer farro, bay leaf, and poultry broth in a small saucepan with a cover, until the level of the broth is even with the farro. Turn off the heat and cover and allow farro to steam for 20 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.
3. Heat a large sauté pan, lightly coated with evoo, over medium-high heat. In batches, sauté mushrooms, shallots, and celery. Season each batch with salt and pepper, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until caramelized. Add garlic and crushed red pepper to the last batch.
4. Add ground turkey and chicken livers and brown for 5 to 7 minutes, until turkey is thoroughly cooked. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
5. Add parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary, egg yolks, and cooked farro to the turkey mixture. Stir to combine, and season with salt and pepper. Moisten with additional poultry broth and port wine if stuffing seems dry.
6. Spoon stuffing into the cavity of the turkey before roasting. If you’re not stuffing a turkey, spoon mixture into prepared pan, and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, cool slightly before serving.