This lasagna is bursting with caramelized asparagus, lemon and goat cheese. Serve it with a salad and some crusty bread and you have a great spring meal.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound lasagna pasta (I like the whole wheat pasta available at most markets)
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus-stem end trimmed and stalks cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Extra Virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- Zest of 2 lemons
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Place a large stockpot over high heat and cook lasagna pasta until it is al dente. Drain and toss with olive oil to prevent pasta from sticking.
3. Toss the asparagus pieces with salt and pepper and extra Virgin olive oil. Place on a broiler proof pan and cook until caramelized and lightly browned (about 5-7 minutes). Be sure to turn the asparagus frequently so that it is evenly golden brown. Remove from the broiler and set aside.
4. Place a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Melt the butter and whisk the flour in to milk. Stir the mixture to cook out the raw flour taste (about 1 minute.) Add the milk at once and whisk constantly. The mixture will thicken when the milk reaches a boil. When the mixture reaches a boil, remove from the heat and stir in the goat cheese and lemon zest. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.