Panzanella is the perfect salad to use up leftover bread, it's also more filling because of that bread. It's a salad you can pack for lunch and be full for hours.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 medium loaf whole wheat rustic bread, crust removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 roasted yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato on the vine, cut into wedges
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, cubed (8-ounce)
- 12 large leaves basil, torn
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400° F. Spread out cubed bread on a large sheet pan in a single layer and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until dried out and crispy. Let cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, onions, peppers, tomatoes, mozzarella and basil and toss to combine. Add bread, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and stir to coat well. Serve immediately or let sit up to 30 minutes so bread soaks up the dressing.