- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 veal rib eye on the bone
- 120 grams cranberries roughly chopped (5/8 cup)
- 4 dates, stones removed and chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 bulb of fennel finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sage finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- Zest of 1 orange
- 5 tablespoon fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 Kipfler potatoes peeled, cut into chunks and blanched
- 2 heads of fennel tops removed, cut into chunks and blanched
- 1 cup hot chicken stock or hot water
- 2 tablespoon dried cranberries softened in the hot stock
- 10 sprig rosemary
- Gently cook the onion, fennel, garlic and celery in the olive oil till soft, add the herbs, orange zest breadcrumbs, cranberries, dates, egg yolk and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Butterfly between the veal and the bones, add the stuffing and tie up with string to form a roast. Squeeze ½ a lemon on the skin and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place in a hot roasting tray and drizzle with a little olive oil, place in a hot oven (200 °C), cook for 10 minutes, then add the potatoes, fennel wedges, rosemary and garlic cloves and leave to cook for 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown but still pink.
- Remove and allow the meat to rest for 5 minutes as this will ensure the meat will be juicy.
- Deglaze the roasting tray with 1 cup of chicken stock or water, and rub off all the caramelised brown bits. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper; add the cranberries and 7 rosemary sprigs.
- Serve sliced on a large platter served with the fennel, potatoes and the deglaze sauce. Garnish with bunches of watercress and half a lemon.