Skip blah frozen pizzas and greasy take out with beautiful homemade pies. An excellent dish for Shavuot, a dairy lunch or anytime you need a slice.
- Prep Time
- 2 large pizzas ServingsServings
- 6 cups flour
- Corn meal for pans
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 cups grated pizza cheese
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 rounded teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, proof yeast in water. You will see it bubble up; this is fun for everyone to watch.
- Whisk in olive oil and salt.
- Stir in flour, 2 cups at a time until dough is no longer sticky.
- Knead until smooth, 5 minutes at the most.
- Drizzle olive oil around bowl. Roll dough in oil until coated. Cover bowl with a towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half and roll into balls. Cover and let rise for another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle cornmeal over bottom of 2 pizza pans. Shape dough to fit pans; stretch and flip or just put it on a lightly floured surface and keep pushing it out.
- For a sauce-less pizza, try feta and shredded mozzarella cheeses, just plain mozzarella or see the tip below to make roasted vegetables and layer them on top of sauce and cheese.
- Feel free to add in other vegetables of your choice, roasted or not, like sliced black or green olives, mild pickled pepper rings, vegetarian pepperoni slices and even artichoke hearts!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bake pizzas for 10-15 minutes until cheese is browned and bubbly.
To roast vegetables, take:
- 1 red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 orange pepper, cut in strips
- 1 yellow pepper, cut in strips
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 zucchini, cut lengthwise
- 1 (8 ounce) box sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place vegetables in a pan, the more spread out, the better.
Sprinkle with salt and olive oil.
Bake for 1-1 1/2 hours, turning in the middle.
Drain liquid from vegetables.