These delicious Rosemary Cashew Cheese Puffs are packed with a homemade cashew "cheese" and roasted asparagus, if desired. A real vegan treat that can be served as an appetizer or part of the main dish.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Rosemary Cashew Cheese:
- 2 cups pre-soaked cashews (or boiled for 15 min)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried rosemary
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup water (add more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil (optional)
Cashew Cheese Puffs:
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 bunch of thin asparagus
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1. To make Rosemary Cashew Cheese: Drain the cashews. Add to a blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides when necessary. If you don't have a high powered blender, it may take several minutes to be completely smooth.
2. To make Cashew Cheese Puffs: Roll out the puff pastry until about 1/4 in thick. Cut 1 inch circles out of the dough. For half of the circles, take a 1/2 in cutter and cut the center out. Lay the rings on top of the full circles and bake at 400°F about 20 min until puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven.
3. Toss the asparagus with olive oil and salt, then spread on a large baking sheet. Bake at 400°F about 10 minutes until the stems are bright green (more if you like crunchy asparagus tips). Cut the tips off about 2 inches from the top.
4. Remove the inside of the puff pastry shells so they can be piped full of cheese. Add an asparagus tip to each. Serve at room temperature.