Black is the new brown when it comes to healthy whole grains and lentils. Black lentils are loaded with iron, fiber, and antioxidants!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 2 cups cooked black lentils
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds salmon fillet, skin removed, cut into 4 fillets
Creamy Mustard Sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon (to taste)
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a deep sauté pan over high heat.
- Add shallots and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and carrots and sauté until just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add lentils, mix until just heated through, season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove to a bowl, cover, and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan. Pat dry salmon fillets with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the sauté pan over high heat.
- Once hot, add salmon, skin side down. Cook until fish lifts easily, about 5 minutes.
- Flip salmon and cook 1 to 2 minutes more for medium or to desired doneness.
- Prepare sauce: Whisk together sour cream, mustard, and lemon zest and juice.
- Serve lentils with salmon on top and sauce on the side.
- Serving Size: 1 filet including lentils and sauce
- Calories: 554
- Carbohydrate Content: 25.2 g
- Cholesterol Content: 181 mg
- Fat Content: 25.8 g
- Fiber Content: 6.6 g
- Protein Content: 54.8 g
- Sugar Content: 3.5 g