Editor's Note: These Salted Almond and Pistachio Bark are so easy to make, and are perfect when you need to make a quick (chocolate) dessert! They also make a great gift inside mishloach manot.
1. French Chocolate Bark: Combine dried fruits and nuts and sprinkle on top of your bark (as opposed to mixed in). Dried apricots, cranberries, cherries, pineapple—anything you like works. Add cashews or peanuts or nuts of your choice. Just coarsely chop your topping; you will need about 2 cups’ worth.
2. Kiddie Candy Bark: Instead of making the bark with nuts and salt, try chopped-up candy bar pieces, crushed pretzels, or mini marshmallows. Experiment with interesting combinations.
Time-Saver: Use 2 cups trail mix in place of the almonds and pistachios.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1¾ pounds good-quality 60% cacao semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1¼ cups roasted unsalted almonds, chopped
- 1¼ cups roasted shelled pistachios, chopped
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons coarse flake sea salt
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and melt it in a microwave in 10-second intervals, stirring often, until smooth. Add 1 cup of the almonds, 1 cup of the pistachios, and the vanilla and stir well to coat the nuts. Use a rubber spatula to spread the mixture evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the salt and the remaining ¼ cup almonds and ¼ cup pistachios over the top. Cover and refrigerate until the chocolate is set, 2 to 4 hours.
3. Break the bark into pieces and store in an airtight container with parchment or wax paper between the pieces. The bark can be stored for about 1 week.
Excerpted from JOY of KOSHER Fast, Fresh Family Recipes by Jamie Geller (William Morrow/HarperCollins)