This vegan ice cream cone is a healthy dessert option, using seasonal fuit for the ice cream and various nut and spelt flour for the cone.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 cones and 1 kg (2 ¼ pounds) ice creamServings
- 1 cup flax seed, ground into flour
- ½ cup cashews, ground into flour
- ½ cup spelt, finely ground into flour
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons date honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon coarse Atlantic sea salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pear, peeled and cored
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup almonds, coarsely ground
- ¼ cup pistachios, coarsely ground
- 500 grams (1 pound) seasonal fruit (in late summer, I recommend using mango, melon, black plums, or fresh figs)
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 500 grams (1 pound) cashews, soaked for 12 hours
- 1 cup pistachios
- 1 cup almonds, soaked for 12 hours
- 1 cup mint leaves, rinsed
- 2 cups ice cubes
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger root
1. In food processor, process flours with all ingredients except almonds and pistachios.
2. Transfer to a bowl, add almonds and pistachios, and combine into an elastic dough.
3. Roll the dough into a 12-centimeter (4 ¾-inch diameter) round and place on an oven grid lined with parchment paper or Teflex. Dry in the oven at 150°C (300°F) for 15 minutes, or in a food dehydrator at 41°C (105°F) for 4 to 5 hours.
4. Cut dough into rounds using a 12-centimeter (4 ¾-inch) diameter ring. Roll into cones, securing bottoms with toothpicks. Oven dry on unlined oven grid for 15 minutes, or in a food dehydrator for 4 hours until cones are crispy.
1. Blend all ingredients to a coarse consistency (I recommend using a heavy-duty blender.) Freeze for 2 hours.
2. Fill cones with ice cream and serve.
Recipe posted with permission from Five Seasons In The Kitchen: Zen Inspired Vegan Cooking.