- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 pound beef stew meat (cubed)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup freekeh (or wheat berries)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Jamie Geller Hawaij (for soup)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 carrots (cut into 2” pieces)
- 4 artichoke bottoms (halved)
- Water (to cover)
- 4 whole eggs (optional)
1. Preheat slow cooker on high or bring Dutch oven over high heat.
2. Add evoo, onion and meat. Stir and brown. Add garlic and freekeh and stir well.
3. Add hawaij and salt, stir well, add tomato paste and stir to coat. Add carrot and artichoke bottoms and cover with water, stir to scrape up bottom. Place raw eggs gently on top.
4. Cover pot, reduce heat to low and cook on low in a slow cooker or in a 200F oven for at least 8 hours, up to 18 for Shabbat lunch.