Use all the seven species of Israel in this fabulous chicken dish. The combination of fruits and nuts and cinnamon and spices will delight all your senses.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Jamie Geller Hawaij for Coffee
- 2 chickens, cut into eighths
- ½ cup (65 g) flour
- 1 cup dried whole figs
- 1 cup (240 g) dried whole dates
- 1 cup (240 mL) white wine
- 1 cup (240 mL) pomegranate juice
- 1 cup (200 g) barley
- 2 cups (475 mL) chicken stock
- 1 cup (230 g) almonds or pecans (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Sauté onions in olive oil in a large pot. Add hawaij for coffee.
2. Toss chicken in a bowl with flour, then add chicken to pot and brown on all sides. (This may need to be done in shifts, according to the size of your pot.)
3. Return all chicken pieces to the pot and add figs, dates, wine, pomegranate juice, barley, chicken stock and nuts. Cook 45–60 minutes or until chicken has cooked through. Serve with couscous.
Source: Eating The Bible Cookbook