Our recipe for a silver tip roast is slow cooked, easy and fool proof. Perfect for a festive holiday meal. When cooking with wine you don't want to use actual cooking wine, it's best to find a bottle of an affordable wine that you wouldn't mind drinking. Try a mixed case of budget-friendly kosher wines, you might even find a bargain wine you really like.
For a change use 1 tablespoon Jamie Geller Hungarian Rub in place of salt, pepper, paprika, and onion powder.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 5 pound beef shoulder roast or silver tip
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup ketchup
1. Place onions on the bottom of a roasting pan. Top with meat.
2. In a small bowl, combine garlic, oil, and spices together to form a paste. Rub the paste all over the meat. Let the meat stand at room temperature for a few hours to absorb the flavors.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F.
4. In a separate bowl, combine wine and ketchup. Pour over meat.
5. Insert oven probe into the thickest part of the meat and set the probe to 135°F. This will be rare. You can always cook it longer when reheating after slicing the meat.
6. Cook for 45 minutes to brown the meat, then lower it to 350°F. Cover meat and let cook until probe hits 135°F internally, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let cool. Slice thinly.
8. Serve roast with pan sauces, either over the roast or in a gravy boat.