- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 cups servings ServingsServings
- 3 cups assorted nuts (hazelnuts, almonds, pine, macadamia, pecans, pistachios, walnuts)
- 2 dried chipotle chilies
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- Spread shelled nuts (except macadamias) in a single layer on a baking pan.
- Bake in a 350, stirring often, until golden.
- Allow 5 to 7 minutes for pine nuts; 8 to 10 minutes for pecans, pistachios, and walnuts; about 15 minutes for almonds and hazelnuts.
- Macadamias need lower heat because they scorch very easily; roast them at 300 for about 20 minutes.
- Watch nuts carefully since they brown quickly.
- For more toasted flavor, bake nuts to a darker color.
- Remove and discard chili stems.
- Whirl the chilies, with seeds, in a blender or food processor until finely ground.
- In a bowl, mix ground chilies, honey, sugar, oil, salt and cayenne.
- Add nuts and stir until coated with seasonings.
- Pour nuts onto oiled 15 x 10-inch pan; shake into 1 layer.
- Bake in 300 oven, stirring often, until golden brown (under skins, if not blanched) and honey mixture hardens, 25 to 30 minutes.
- If necessary, push nuts apart; cool in pan.
Serve, or store up to 3 days.