- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 4 TBLS olive oil, divided
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine (or chicken stock)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, in juices
- 2 TBLS capers, drained
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 TBLS chopped fresh basil (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 TBLS chopped fresh parsley (or 2 teaspoons dried)
1 In large sauté pan, warm 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
2 Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to slow cooker and turn pot on low.
3 In same sauté pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add garlic, mushrooms, pepper slices and onion.
4 Saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 – 7 minutes. Add vegetables to slow cooker.
5 Add wine to same pan and deglaze about one minute, stirring up brown bits. Pour wine into slow cooker.
6 Add to slow cooker the tomatoes and juices, capers, currents, basil and parsley.
7 Cook for 6 or 7 hours on low (or 3 hours on high), until chicken and vegetables are very tender and sauce has thickened slightly.
Source: National Chicken Council