Based on a Persian soup very flavorful and healthy with all the greens and herbs, but adjustable to your taste. Traditionally it has spaghetti type noodles which you can feel free to add.
We made dill optional because many of our kids don’t like it, but it is a really great addition. Serve with crusty whole grain bread, pasta or fruit for dessert.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ½ cup cannellini or navy beans, soaked overnight, drained
- ½ cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, drained
- ½ cup green lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 ounces baby spinach (about 7 cups), chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves with tender stems
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup chopped dill (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Garnishes: caramelized onions, low fat plain Greek yogurt, chopped mint
Preheat slow cooker to low.
- Coat bottom of slow cooker with evoo. Layer onion, garlic, beans, lentils, and turmeric. Add 8 cups cold water, cover and cook 8 hours on low.
- Ten minutes before serving, add salt to taste, add spinach, cilantro, parsley, and dill (if using). Stir and let sit for a few minutes while you get the bowls and garnishes.
- Add lemon juice and pepper and serve soup with optional garnishes.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 396
- Carbohydrate Content: 54.3 g
- Fat Content: 13.1 g
- Fiber Content: 20.8 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Sodium Content: 110 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g