For this recipe, use chicken thighs or, “baby chickens” (pargiot). Serve with pita, fresh-sliced vegetables such as cucumber and tomato, and tahini sauce.
Now, instead of making your own you can buy our Jamie Geller Shawarma spice blend on Amazon.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 6Servings
- 4 boneless, skinless baby chickens or 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ cup shawarma seasoning (store bought or use recipe below)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for a bit of a kick)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup tahini paste
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup fresh parsley or cilantro, or a mix of both
- 1 clove garlic
- Pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac powder (optional)
1. Combine coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, sugar, cayenne, and salt in a small bowl.
1. Place chicken, onion and garlic in a slow cooker. Drizzle evoo on top and sprinkle seasoning over everything. Put slow cooker on low and cook for 6 to 8 hours.
1. Combine all ingredients well using an immersion blender or regular blender, or finely chopped parsley and garlic and whisk ingredients together.
2. Store in airtight container in fridge for up to two weeks.