Most recipes for split pea soup only cook for about 30 minutes, but it really is not enough. Really good rich and flavorful pea soup should cook low and slow until it gets nice and thick. That’s why it is the ultimate slow cooker dinner.
For some added texture and vitamins we add some mini broccoli florets just before serving.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 2 large carrots, sliced or diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups dried split green peas, picked over and rinsed
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup mini broccoli florets
- 1 whole grain baguette for dunking
- In slow cooker add olive oil, onions, carrots, paprika, salt, bay leaves, split peas, and broth. Stir and set on low for 7-8 hours.
- Just before serving, add broccoli and stir.
- Serve soup with baguette or homemade croutons
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 167
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Fat Content: 4.3 g
- Protein Content: 7.9 g
- Sodium Content: 631 mg
- Sugar Content: 5.9 g