The “Smoked Ricotta with Red Pepper Mostarda and Fresh Mozzarella” is the specialty sandwich I try to get as many people as possible to try. It’s the perfect combination of sweet, salty, smoky, and savory.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Red Pepper Mostarda
- 5 medium-sized red pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, cut paper thin
- 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 slices bread of your choice
- Cold-smoked ricotta (Alternatively you can use regular ricotta with smoked salt)
- Fresh mozzarella
1. To prepare the Red Pepper Mostardo: Make a dry caramel with the sugar. Once the sugar is a medium amber add the vinegar and allow the caramel to melt. (Be careful, it will sizzle and splatter.)
2. Add the peppers, garlic, and mustard seeds and allow to cook till it reaches a jam-like consistency.
Note: The mostardo will last a while.
3. Shmear cold-smoke ricotta (or you can cheat and add some smoked salt to it, REAL SMOKED SALT)
4. Layer it on Ciabatta (or focaccia) with fresh mozzarella and a healthy dose of Red Pepper Mostarda.
Recipe originally published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Shavuot 2014 SUBSCRIBE NOW